Thursday, April 10, 2008

Magnet Bookmarks


This is an idea I've been meaning to try for awhile. Whenever I go to the bookstore, I love to stop by and see the little "gifty" things they have. I bought a few of those magnet bookmarks they sell and I really like them because you don't have to worry about your bookmark falling out as you read...or misplacing your bookmark if you take it out of your book until you're done. So, I decided to try to make some of my own. I started with cutting a piece of patterned cardstock to fit the front of a chipboard piece. I glued it on and sanded the edges. Then I punched out a piece of coordinating paper with a small scalloped oval punch...and glued that on. Next I stamped, colored and cut # 1103 (Happy Mouse) and added some bling. I coated the whole thing with Mod Podge to give it a protective layer.



To make the part that hooks over the page, I cut 2 pieces of cardstock (approx. 3/4" x 3-1/4"). I tried it with just one piece of cardstock, but it was a little too flimsy. Next score 2 fold lines so that there is a 1/4" section in the middle of this strip of paper...and glue the 2 pieces of paper together.




Glue one side to the back of the chipboard piece and trim to match the bottom edge. Attach a piece of printed cardstock to cover the back and apply Mod Podge all over the back and "flap" piece.


Glue on 2 small magnets as shown.



Now just clip the bookmark over your page...the two magnets will clip together and mark your place until you're ready to continue your reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thats clever to 'create' your own magnet bookmark just by seeing a sample! Makes me want to try making one. Very nice!